Sunday, February 7, 2010

How I stumbled into the wide world of quilting

I had to think back a few years to figure out how I became interested in quilting so here's my story:
Around 1999 I decided I wanted to learn how to sew my own clothes (skirts, jumpers, sleepwear).  So I bought myself a sewing machine and took a class from my local Parks & Rec. In 2000 I went on The Disney Cruise and was SO excited to make all of my clothes for this trip... capri pants, fun summer shirts, shorts and skirts.  This was the first shirt I made and I loved it (I'm sitting in Minnie's chair).
In 2001 I went to a quilt convention with my mom.  I went primarily because I knew there would be bolts of new, different and unique fabric there.  I was very impressed with the workmanship that went into these quilts but I wanted to find funky fabrics for skirts.

Up until this quilt convention I thought that all quilts were "country looking" with dull and drab colors.  But this convention opened up my eyes to all of the amazing colors and variations the world of quilting had become.  I was still there for fabric for garments though.

But then slowly, as with everything else, when I look at something long enough I start to get ideas.  And the more booths I wandered in and out of I noticed myself being drawn to these cute bug fabrics.  Then I found one I couldn't live without...
This spider was screaming "take me home, I'm too cute to pass up!"

I thought to myself "I could make a simple quilt.  6" squares sewn together.  I could alternate cute bug patterns with bright solids... hmm". The idea was born and little did I know I would fall in love with quilting and continue to make more of these treasures.

I was going to just tie it but instead put it away and forgot about it until this post.  As you can see that I never put the binding on it either.  But because of this post think I'll finish it.  And now since I know how to quilt the top I'm toying with the idea of doing that.  This quilt is huge though!  It measures 85" X 96".  

So I guess you could say this is where I was bit by the quilting bug... or spider as it were!

No comments: