Sunday, May 9, 2010

Happy Mother's Day

I LOVE being a mother and even though I have a part time job at a bank I consider myself a stay-at-home mom.  Joshua, who is 3 1/2 years old, and Jacob, who is 18 months old, are the loves of my life.  I love teaching them new things and watching them grow into little boys every day.  Joshua absorbs everything like a sponge!  And Jacob is constantly exploring his new world.  Joshua asks lots of questions about everything (which I never mind answering) and Jacob is trying to figure out how to work his tongue so he can use "big boy words". 

I continually give thanks to God for blessing me with two beautiful children.  I just love to look at Jacob while he is asleep in my arms and to think that with God's help (and my husband's) we created this ever-so-precious human being.  From the little vein on the side of his head to his little toes... my body made this.  Amazing.

And in honor of Mother's Day I would like to tell you a little bit about my mother.  My brother and I grew up in a very loving home, my childhood was wonderful.  I didn't think my mother worked outside the home because she was always there to take care of us.  Later in life I learned that she did have a job but she worked her schedule so that she could be home with us before and after school.  I NEVER came home to an empty house, never.  And for that I am SO grateful.

My mom was and still is an art teacher for the Newport News Parks and Recreation here in Va.  She loves her job and she loves to share her creative talent with other people.  As a child I thought all mother's had 2,000 tubes of paint and 500 paint brushes and bins and bins of fabric.  Not so.  I was the lucky one to have a mom like that.  Even though I had no interest in learning how to use a sewing machine my mom was always there to show me if I ever got the urge to learn.  Knitting?  Not a problem... my mom had needles and needles ready to go when I asked her a few years ago if she knew how to knit and would teach me.

I believe we continue to grow closer and closer every year and I also believe that our love of art continues to bond us together.  We love to go to arts and craft shows together and mind you we do have somewhat different tastes but that's what makes it all the more fun!  During these craft shows we find each other saying "Oh you could do that!" then we each take mental notes of that item.  We love to brainstorm together and ALWAYS come up with great ideas.

And for all of these fun experiences I've had with my mom I say "Thanks mom for all that you've done and all that you continue to do".
   (As a side note my parents will celebrate their 42nd wedding anniversary next month).

No comments: