Thursday, July 18, 2019

Getting back into watercolors

Since getting a full time job I haven't wanted to cut or sew fabric because it takes a lot longer to sew a quilt now.  I can only work on projects at night and by the time I get home all I want to do is rest (I work with two-year old's at a preschool). 

I taught myself how to watercolor about 10 years ago so I thought I'd try my hand at that again.  I started with leaves because they are kind of easy:

My first one was the one in the top left but by the time I got to the bottom right one I didn't like how they were turning out.  My favorite one is the one with yellow leaves and a few roots.

Since moving to the Blue Ridge mountains I've seen a lot of artists paint these mountains so I thought I'd give that a try too:

I loved how my leaves turned out ( above) so I returned to those but tried my hand at an entire tree:
To me it looks like a "Winnie The Pooh" tree.

I then decided to paint lavender but I don't like how this one turned out:



My favorite flower has always been the Black-eyed Susan so I tried to paint two different versions, one tighter and one more loose and free flowing:

 One of my favorite birds is the blue jay so I sketched that one yesterday and hopefully I'll get it painted this weekend so stay tuned!

No comments: