About Me

My photo

I started this blog on November 23, 2009 just because I wanted to chronicle my artistic endeavors and see "in black and white" how many different directions my artistic brain would go.  I challenged myself to try different mediums and that this blog could be a platform to post my achievements and failures.  I cannot believe it's been six years now!  Over the past 6 years I've learned a few things from writing this blog:
1.  Art is in my blood, I will always be thinking or doing something artistic
2.  About 80% of my work turns out better than the original idea
3.  I am not a fast artist, I have to start on an idea and then let it sit for a while
4.  It's OK that my "artsy" brain sometimes goes in 1,000 different directions at once
With all of this said I now consider myself a mixed media artist because I a lot of my talents cross over into other projects I've already started; It's a great life and I wouldn't change anything about my crazy artistic brain!  


Saturday, February 11, 2012

Purple Passion Flowers

I had this new idea:  To dry acrylic paint on parchment paper then peal it off and use that in a piece of art.  So I picked out about 4 different colors of paint: dark and light purple, gold and a pearlescence beige.  I squirted them all onto parchment paper, swirled them around with the tip of a paintbrush (not the bristle end) and q-tips.  Not too vigorously though because I still wanted to see each individual color that was used.




I knew that when this was dry I was going to use it to create flowers.  After a few days of letting it dry I then decided to create a background for these flowers.  Instead of making the "traditional" blue sky and green grass I decided to incorporate the purples and gold into the background as well.


Now comes the fun part of peeling the paint and balling it up! (Sorry I got so excited at this stage I forgot to take pictures!)

After gluing the flowers down I painted the stems and finished with the leaves.  I was leaning towards the leaves being blue since nothing else in the painting was as it seems but I wanted the person to at least recognize the leaves so I elected to paint them green.




Purple Passion Flowers is now for sale at my art studio at Olde Towne Art.  I should have taken a side view of it so you could see the dimension on these flowers, I just love it.
Post a Comment