Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Homesteading

I never used to read blogs until last year when my husband got me an ipod for Christmas. I don't listen to as much music as I thought I would but for me it's all about podcasts. I have listened to Sister Diane of Craftypod for a year now and she is amazing. She writes a blog with a lot of crafty tutorials and pictures.


I guess she is the reason why I now read blogs. All of them are arts and crafts related except one. Cold Antler Farm by Jenna Woginrich. She is a homesteader.

She has even written a book that I purchased 2 weeks ago that I'm halfway through already...
HOMESTEADING as defined by Wikipedia:
Currently the term 'homesteading'[1] applies to anyone who is a limb of the back-to-the-land movement and who chooses to live a sustainable, self-sufficient lifestyle. While land is no longer freely available in most areas of the world, homesteading remains as a way of life.

I am super fascinated by this concept although don't worry family I'm not looking to buy land... YET! (Kidding)

Building a log cabin, chopping wood for the fire, having a vegetable garden, knitting blankets and quilting, cleaning out my chicken coup and sheering my sheep all appeal to me. If there are any homesteaders out there reading this I know it's extremely hard work and I know it's not all peaches and cream. I truly admire you. (Side note: I'm a vegetarian so I would not have to worry about slaughtering animals).

I am married with two small children and this notion does not appeal to my husband at all. He said his idea of canning is "going to the grocery store and picking up a can and putting it in the basket".

As most of you know I've always been fascinated with the Amish lifestyle. It wasn't until this morning did I realize some of the similarities between The Plain People and homesteading. Mind you I understand that there are just as many differences as similarities but I think it's their commonalities that draw me to these two groups of people.

A side note: the picture of the Amish girls was taken by me at an auction last summer in Lancaster, PA. I am respectful of the fact that the Amish do not want their pictures taken for religious reasons... hum, maybe I'll blog about that one day... and the conversation I had this same day with an Amish girl.

One of my favorite songs summarizes this blog post. Written by Shaker Elder Joseph Brackett, Jr. in 1848:


'Tis the gift to be simple,
'tis the gift to be free,
'tis the gift to come down where you ought to be,
And when we find ourselves in the place just right,
It will be in the valley of love and delight.
Refrain:
When true simplicity is gained,
To bow and to bend we shan't be ashamed.
To turn, turn will be our delight,
'Til by turning, turning we come round right

No comments: