Thursday, December 17, 2009

On a personal note

I've never been an overweight person. In high school I was a majorette and when I wasn't twirling I was riding my bike. Then in my 20's I maybe put on a few extra pounds nothing anybody could see though because I'm so tall. Then in my late 30's I started having children. After my second child I gave myself a year to get the baby weight off and I did! Hooray! That was five weeks ago on November 11th when Jacob turned one year old.

Right around this same time, six weeks ago, I decided I wanted to try to get down to my wedding weight... it was only five more pounds. Plus I'm so self conscious about my belly now, my little "pooch". I joined Curves and I love it! I haven't lost any weight yet but I am definitely gaining muscle.

My aspiration now is to be able to run. Some of you might be thinking "Well that's easy, just get out there and run!" but I am 40 years old and I have bad knees. I do feel as though going to Curves is strengthening my legs and subsquently my knees.

My brother has been a huge inspiration to me. He is two years younger than me and it was only a few years ago that he started running. He now has a few marathons under his belt and in October he completed The Wisconsin Ironman (2.5 mi. swim, 104 mi. bike and 26.2 mi. run). I am not aiming to be a triathlete I just want to jog around my neighborhood. Today I took the first steps. I got up at 6am and walk/ran my neighborhood. It actually felt really good and I could run a little further than I thought. It was in the upper 20's this morning and the only thing that bothered me was breathing in the cold air. Other than that my body felt fine. I pushed myself but I didn't overdue it.

If there are any runners out there I'd love to hear your story on how you got started and tips you could give me.

No comments: