Sunday, March 3, 2013

The Hoffman Challenge

Last weekend my mom and I attended The Mid-Atlantic Quilt Festival in Hampton, VA.  My mom and I go every year and I love the new and innovative ideas I walk away with.  Not only is there a quilt show but also vendors, lots of vendors, selling everything from fabric turners to dyed silk pods. 

Also there is The Hoffman Challenge.  Every year I am intrigued by this competition.  There are six categories: Pieced Quilts, Appliqued Quilts, Mixed Technique (pieced and appliqued), Doll, Clothing, and Accessories.  There are many rules for this challenge but the main one is to use the Hoffman fabrics they have selected for this year.

I am most interested in the doll challenge. Here are a few pictures from this years competition:

And check out the detail of her toenails!
Here are a few more:



 
 I have dedicated a board on my Pinterest page to the past Hoffman Challenge entries here.
Every year I am inspired by something at the Quilt Festival and this year it was The Hoffman Dolls.  I love a good challenge don't you?  Four days ago I bought the fabric and have quite a few ideas I'm knocking around in my head.  Here are the four fabrics I bought:

The design that is prominent is the main fabric for the challenge.  The only one that is not listed for the challenge is the teal one but I wanted more blue in the palette.  One is allowed to use other fabrics but the top one has to be incorporated into your design.  My picture doesn't really do it justice because each one of them has this gold shimmer to it that I love.  I've also bought gold and teal ribbons and beads to embellish later.

I will try to post pictures as I go along but I am also working on two other dolls that I want to show you too so stay tuned!

No comments: