Monday, January 11, 2010

Any spare moment I get...

I try to do art of some sort. My husband had outpatient surgery last week and while waiting for him I took my sketch book and The Flower Painter's Pocket Palette by Elisabeth Harden (the same one I referred to in another post). To tell you the truth I was looking forward to my husband's surgery because it gave me an excuse to sketch for hours on end and to get away from my boys for a while. The quietness of a waiting room... loved it!

I was able to do three sketches. I'm still at the point where I need to sketch out my watercolor painting before I actually dive in. The first sketch was ivy, the second was calla lilies and the third was daffodils. I couldn't wait to get home to take paint to paper. The first one I finished painting was, ironically, the first one I sketched.

And then the second one I finished painting were the calla lilies:
Every painting I finish I'm inspired to do another one. That doesn't happen much with me because I'm one of these people that will try something just to see if I can do it then move on. But I think watercolors is going to be another one of my staple things I do. My other staples are photography, sewing garments and quilting; I may put it down for a while but I will always go back to these 4 things.
I have so much to learn about watercolors but unlike my other whimsies I'm taking my time and not rushing through things just to see what the end product will look like... I'm enjoying this watercolor journey.

2 comments:

Kim Dillon-Cailles said...

I haven't started on the daffodils yet.

Unknown said...

Kim, you are so talented. I enjoy reading your blog. DeAnn Rinehart