Sunday, January 10, 2010

Quilling if willing!

My sister-in-law knows that I like arts and crafts stores. I never know what is going to inspire me or what I'm going to want to try next. This past summer when we were visiting my sister-in-law in Wisconsin she took me to this neat arts and crafts store. I forgot the name of it but we don't have them here in Virginia. I wandered every aisle slowly. Then I walked down this aisle with paper for quilling. Interesting. Quilling.

But I didn't buy anything to get started. It looked very interesting but because I didn't know the first thing about it I decided to get a book and read up on it first.

(From Wikipedia)
Quilling or paper filigree is an art that involves the use of strips of paper that are rolled, shaped, and glued together to create decorative designs. The paper is wound around a quill to create a basic coil shape. The paper is glued at the tip and the coil shaped, these shaped coils are arranged to form flowers, leaves, and various ornamental patterns similar to ironwork.

I now have 4 books, quilling paper and a quilling tool. I have practiced a few techniques and it is surprisingly easy.
On page 26 of the book Quilled Borders and Motifs by Judy Cardinal I fell in love with the rose trellis. I decided to create a lattice for my roses instead.
Then I made the individual leaves and roses before assembling it. The roses were kind of difficult because it involved more than just making a coil. The very first rose I attempted was the red one and I think this one turned out the best.
Then I assembled everything. I'm not sure if I'm finished yet. I wanted to do a lot more roses and creeping vines but I really like the simplicity of this.

The last book I ordered on quilling, and received about a week ago, is called Thrilling Quilling by Elizabeth Moad. I haven't tried any of the projects yet but isn't this "beach life" fantastic!! I love the yellow starfish.

This book has hundreds of cute and innovative designs from little baby footprints to bugs and a fairy queen. Of course my favorite is the black cat.


So stay tuned! But right now there is a feud of sorts going on in my head... do I quill or watercolor? Lately watercoloring has won out.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You're off to a great start; quilling always wins in my book; I've been doing it for 30+ years.(although part of that may be because I don't know how to paint)Stop in and visit my blog quillingwithwhimsiquills.blogspot.com to see some great work from quillers around the world. You might also want to check out our web site for free instructional/reference materials and free patterns as well as book reviews and supplies.

Kim Dillon-Cailles said...

You are AMAZING! I'm so glad you found me and posted a link to your blog... now I can see what a true quiller does! I also loved the video interview. All of your quilled paper hanging up very neatly was enough to make me salivate. You are truly an inspiration.