Wednesday, October 6, 2010

An artistic rut

I've been in an artistic rut lately.  I've had a lot of things going on in my life and they have taken precedence over my creativity.  One thing that I've found that gives me immediate gratification is drawing zentangles.  This is something that relaxes me and I can immediately see art emerging from my doodles.  Since I have two small children I usually cannot start on a big project (such as quilting) during the day while they are awake.  But then at night after they go to bed I head right for my own bed!  Zentangles are now my art of choice.  I love to pick up my fine point black Sharpie marker and just start doodling.  It is something I can work on for five minutes or 50 minutes.

I have described and given examples of zentangles in previous posts but today I wanted to share with you a deviation I've started working on.  It's a little different and I'm not sure I "love" it or not.  It definitely gives the work a different slant.  I have started using colored pencils in my black and white doodles.  I will no longer call them zentangles as there is a specific definition for zentangle and I don't think color applies.  I have finished two so far.  The third one I'm currently working on I like the best.  I'll post a picture as soon as I'm finished but I wanted to post something so you all don't think I've totally abandoned my blog.




I have tried to stick to about four colors for now.  To me it looks a little more cohesive but we'll see what tomorrow brings!  Happy doodling everyone.

No comments: