Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Holiday Tradition

I just love Thanksgiving.  I love when family gets together and visits and reminisces about holidays past.
As a child my parents and brother and I would go over to my grandparents house, a little over an hour away, for Thanksgiving.  I can remember the smell my grandfather's pipe and watching the balloons in Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade on tv.  I can hear my mom and grandmother putting all the delicious food on the table and I can't wait to dig my fork into grandma's SPINACH CASSEROLE!


But my grandfather died in 1989 and my grandmother moved into a retirement community.  My grandmother was a spunky lady.  She was fun and energetic and she lived to be 100 years old.  Sadly she passed away three years ago.  But her and my grandfather's memory lives on.  Not only through the times we've shared but through her SPINACH CASSEROLE. 

Now that I'm married and have children of my own we have Thanksgiving at our house and I make my grandmother's SPINACH CASSEROLE.  Thanksgiving was a few weeks ago and my husband's cousin asked everyone at the table if we would like to share any holiday traditions that our families had.  I was able to share the story behind the spinach casserole they each had on their plates and I told them that I would forever make it in remembrance of my grandmother.
Susan then asked my dad if he remembered having this spinach casserole as a child.  He said "Oh yeah!"  He also added that they had it on other occasions too, not just Thanksgiving.

I do not have the recipe as it's in my head.  My mom has it and she keeps telling me that if I want it she can give it to me but I'd just as soon make it as I remember it.  It consists of chopped spinach, cream of mushroom soup, hard boiled eggs, cheddar cheese and bread crumbs layered about 2-3 times and the put in the oven for about 45 minutes.

Happy Thanksgiving (a little late) everyone!

No comments: