Saturday, November 28, 2009

Button Obsessed


I haven't collected too many things in my life. I did collect Barbies for a long time... vintage, 1959-64 and yes I do have the #1 Barbie. I studied the different types of Barbies and I knew how much each piece of clothing was worth and what hat went with what outfit. My mom and I would travel hours to doll shows. I also collected anything with a hedgehog on it for a while. During that time I went to England and I'm here to tell you that if you collect hedgehogs England is the place to go. Right now I have a small collection of pictures of girls holding cats, some modern, some antique. I also might have a small collection of fabric, paint, paint brushes, beads, etc. (but I don't consider these collections really).

My newest obsession is buttons. I love buttons. But I don't collect them for their market value. I collect them for 1.) their uniqueness and beauty and 2.) because their creative possibilities are endless. I started painting on buttons a few months ago. The blue ones at the top of my blog are my favorite painted ones. But then after I painted about 100 I really wasn't sure what to do with them. I have since started to make magnets out of them. I have also glued them onto picture frames, mirrors and clocks... oh the possibilities. I'm also partial to old fabric covered buttons...

And here's a photo of my red, orange and yellow buttons (just a few of them)...


I also make stacked button pendants. I absolutely love making these because I get to use various colors and sizes. Because my first creation was a painted button I sometimes paint my stacked button pendants with various designs and colors.


So there it is, my current obsession: buttons.

No comments: